It’s our favorite time of year once again—Girl Scout Cookies are here! We've added new editors’ picks of great beers to celebrate the season with and a collection of cookie-and-beer pairings we compiled from around the web. Let’s hear your favorite pairings!
Caramel de-Lites /Samoas
Match the toasted coconut of these cookies with even more toasted coconut and the roasted caramel flavors in these beers.
- Creature Comforts Koko Buni
- Oskar Blues Death By Coconut
- Bruery Mash & Coconut
- Funky Buddha Last Snow
- Wormtown Norm Chocolate Coconut Stout
These dark and roasty stouts deliver a mouthfeel that pairs well with the crisp, minty crunch of the wafer cookie (especially if you keep your Thin Mints in the freezer). Consider yourself warned, though, as these beers range from 9—13 percent ABV and you’ll likely find yourself reaching for a second sleeve of cookies in record time.
- Perennial Artisan Ales 17
- Alesmith Speedway Stout
- Shipyard Mint Chocolate Stout
- Epic Big Bad Baptist
- Hardywood Sidamo Coffee Stout
The shortbread texture of the cookies and lemon flavors in the icing make an excellent contrasting duo for these citrusy IPAs.
- Ballast Point Sculpin
- Night Shift Santilli
- 10 Barrel Joe
- Neshaminy Creek Shape of Hops to Come
- Against the Grain Rico Sauvin
Stick with tradition by pairing these classic cookies with traditional beer styles such as Baltic porter’s cheek-warming notes of dark fruits and coffee or a Scottish ale with notes of cocoa and coffee and a dash of smoke.
- Smuttynose Baltic Porter
- Founders Dirty Bastard
- Jack’s Abby Framinghammer
- Central Waters Brewer’s Reserve Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale
- Oskar Blues Old Chub
Do-Si-Dos/Peanut Butter Sandwich
Let the flavors of the Do-Si-Dos dance with the balance and rich texture of these malty lagers.
- Metropolitan Dynamo Copper Lager
- Schell’s FireBrick
- New Belgium Shift
- Tröegs Troegenator Doublebock
- Great Lakes Eliot Ness
Push aside that lemon wedge you occasionally put in your beer and, if you must add a wedge, consider accenting your beer with the Savannah Smile instead. The lemon-flavored cookie wedges have been dusted with powdered sugar and pair well with these witbiers and bières de miel.
- Allagash White
- Westbrook White Thai
- Jester King's Bière de Miel
- Casey East Bank
- Brasserie Dupont Bière De Miel Biologique
Cranberry Citrus Crisps
Try these bières de garde for toffee notes and a subtle spice from farmhouse ale yeast that plays off nicely with the cranberry inundated cookies. Make sure to let these beers warm up a little for maximum intensity.
- Lost Abbey Avante Garde
- Two Brothers Domaine DuPage
- Schlafly Bière de Garde
- The Commons Bière De Garde
- Hill Farmstead Bière De Norma
Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties
The vanilla, chocolate, and peanut butter flavors from the Tagalongs sound like adjuncts in a stout. So grab these flavor-filled stouts to heighten the insanity of this pairing.
- Off Color DinoS’mores
- FiftyFifty Vanilla Eclipse
- Prairie Artisan Ales Bomb!
- Stone W00tstout
- Terrapin Cinnamon Roll’d Wake-n-Bake
Rah Rah Raisins
You’ll definitely be cheering when you pair these oatmeal cookies loaded with raisins and Greek-yogurt-flavored chunks with these complementing sour brown ales filled with dark fruit flavors.
- Boulevard Love Child
- Crooked Stave Origins
- Rodenbach Grand Cru
- New Belgium La Folie
- New Holland Blue Sunday Sour
These shortbread cookies have had one side dunked in chocolate fudge. Keep the two-faced theme going by pairing with a contrasting beer such as these imperial IPAs:
- Odell Myrcenary
- Bell’s Hopslam
- Firestone Walker Double Jack
Or reinforce the cookie flavors with the roasted goodness and creamy mouthfeel of these milk stouts:
- Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
- 4 Hands Chocolate Milk Stout
These gluten-free whole-grain cookies are made with oats, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. Pair these with a gluten-free beer or a gluten-reduced for a gluten-less spectrum of flavor.
- Glutenberg Red
- Glutenberg IPA
- Stone Delicious
- Green’s Endeavor Dubbel
- Omission IPA
These gluten-free butter cookies, offered only in select areas, are loaded with bits of toffee, and beer lovers can harmonize with the bread and toffee flavors of the cookie:
- Epic Glutenator
- Brasserie Dupont Foret Libre
Or stray away from full-on gluten abstinence with these beers:
- Avery Hog Heavan
- Green Flash Le Freak
- Deep Ellum four Swords
Suggestions from The Beer Chicks include these pairings:
- Caramel DeLites (aka Samoas) with Maui Brewing Co.’s CoCoNut PorTeR
- Tagalongs with Wells & Young’s Brewing Company’s Banana Bread Beer
- Thin Mints with Kiuchi Brewery’s Hitachino Nest Beer Espresso Stout
- Trefoils with North Coast Brewing Co.’s Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
Central Track’s Melissa Mackaly suggests these pairings:
- Samoas with Founders Brewing Co.’s Dirty Bastard
- Thin Mints with Great Divide Brewing Co.’s Yeti Imperial Stout
- Do-Si-Dos with Founders Brewing Co.’s Imperial Stout
Suggestions from the Brooklyn Brewshop include these pairings:
- Thin Mints with Bootlegger’s Brewery’s Mint Chocolate Porter
- Tagalongs with Brooklyn Brew Shop’s own Peanut Butter Porter
- Dulce de Leches with Revolution Brewing’s Mad Cow Milk Stout
- Lemonades with Brooklyn Brewery’s Sorachi Ace
And finally, Flying Dog Brewery includes the following pairings with its own beers:
- Trefoils with Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout
- Do-Si-Dos with Lucky SOB Irish Red Ale
- Samoas with Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA
- Tagalongs with Gonzo Imperial Porter
- Thin Mints with Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout
Find a Girl Scout, order some cookies, and let us know which beer you pair with your favorites. Like Craft Beer & Brewing on Facebook to stay up to date with all of the latest in beer & brewing.