Trick-or-treating is about to take on a whole new meaning for grown-ups. We present the 2015 Craft Beer & Brewing candy and craft-beer pairings for Halloween. Love beer and sweets? Download our Best Beer Desserts Guide.
M&M’s + Barrel-Aged Beer
Barrel-aged beers are a lot like these tasty treats: rich, bold, and bite-size in a good way.
- Avery Brewing Co. (Boulder, Colorado) Rumpkin
- Brothers Craft Brewing (Harrisonburg, Virginia) Rum Barrel Belgian Dubbel Style Ale
- Ballast Point Brewing Company (San Diego, California) Rum Barrel-Aged Sea Monster Imperial Stout
- Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, Florida) Double Barrel Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups + Cream Ale
Cleanse out the peanut butter and chocolate punch with a fresh cream ale; these two are better together.
- Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co. (Croydon, Pennsylvania) Croydon Cream Ale
- Full Sail Brewery (Hood River, Oregon) Session Cream
- Sun King Brewing Co. (Indianapolis, Indiana) Sunlight Cream Ale
- Sixpoint Brewery (Brooklyn, New York) Sweet Action
Starburst + Saison
The perfect outdoor treat for your candy hangover, these two complement each other with a juicy blast, followed by a nice estery palate cleanser.
- Boulevard Brewing (Kansas City, Missouri) Tank 7
- Firestone Walker (Paso Robles, California) Opal
- Crooked Stave Artisan Beer (Denver, Colorado) Vielle
- Jester King (Austin, Texas) Noble King
Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses + Raspberry Ale
Try Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses with the crispness and the tartness of a Belgian-style ale with raspberries or a raspberry wheat ale.
- Funkwerks (Fort Collins, Colorado) Belgian-Style Raspberry Provincial Ale
- New Glarus Brewing Co. (New Glarus, Wisconsin) Raspberry Tart
- Mad Anthony Brewing Co. (Fort Wayne, Indiana) Ruby Raspberry Wheat
- Breakwater Brewing Co. (Oceanside, California) Raspberry Creek
Butterfinger Bars + Bock
A traditional German-style bock is a lot like this popular candy bar: dark in color, with sweet caramel aromas and rich, roasty malt flavors. Try these beers with Butterfingers:
- Tröegs Brewing Co. (Hershey, Pennsylvania) Troegenator
- Heater Allen Brewing (McMinnville, Oregon) Hugo Bock
- Samuel Adams (Boston, Massachusetts) Double Bock
- Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co. (Madison, Wisconsin) Uber Bock
Hot Tamales + IPA
Have some hops to cut the heat in these sweet, spicy candies. Go for an IPA that’s more on the floral side (as opposed to the piney or citrusy side).
- Odell Brewing Co. (Fort Collins, Colorado) Perle White IPA
- Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Oregon) Chainbreaker White IPA
- Marin Brewing Company (Larkspur, California) Three Flowers IPA
- La Cumbre Brewing Co. (Albuquerque, New Mexico) Elevated IPA
Candy Corn + Light Lager
Tame the intensity of the sugar of candy corn with a smooth, dry-finishing lager that will also bring out the candy’s caramel flavors.
- Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) Pumpkin Lager
- Uinta Brewing (Salt Lake City, Utah) 801 Pilsner
- Sun King Brewing (Indianapolis, Indiana) Popcorn Pilsner
- Boulevard Brewing (Kansas City, Missouri) Reverb Imperial Pilsner
Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars + Milk Stout
Pair milk chocolate Hershey’s bars with a smooth, full-bodied milk stout. The added lactose in the beer will enhance the creaminess of the chocolate. Try these milk stouts for starters:
- Tallgrass Brewing Company (Manhattan, Kansas) Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout
- Left Hand Brewing Company (Longmont, Colorado) Milk Stout
- Great Basin Brewing Company (Reno, Nevada) Outlaw Milk Stout
- Portsmouth Brewery (Portsmouth, New Hampshire) Milk Stout
Carmel Apple Suckers + Cider
Choose the dry, fruit flavors to accentuate that apple acidity and extra sweetness of these suckers.
- Ciderboys (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) First Press
- Foggy Ridge (Dugspur, Virginia) First Fruits
- Angry Orchard (Walden, New York) Muse
- Woodchuck (Proctorsville, Vermont) Belgian White
Pop Rocks + Funky, Sour Beer
Attenuate the tartness and effervescence of Pop Rocks with a funky, sour ale. This combination will finish nice and dry and leave your tongue tingling.
- Prairie Artisan Ales (Tulsa, Oklahoma) Cherry Funk!
- Telegraph Brewing Company (Santa Barbara, California) Reserve Wheat Ale
- Jester King Brewery (Austin, Texas) Atrial Rubicite
- Devils Backbone Brewing Company (Roseland, Virginia) Berliner Metro Weiss
What craft beer and candy pairings do you recommend?