As summer begins to give way to fall, you might be trying to hang on to a slice of sunshine before the bitterness of winter sets in. So before you start reaching for the heartier stouts and porters, why not have one last summer-beer hurrah?
A nice crop of melon-y beers has taken over the market this summer, and we think they’re the perfect way to cool off in the final weeks of summer. Fresh flavors such as watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and cucumber are mixing with IPAs, sours, saisons, and wits, allowing for lots of variety for every palate. We’ve got to get our fruit somehow!
Watermelon makes a fantastic melon beer because it has a bit of sweet juiciness and a bit of tartness that goes very well with a number of beer styles. While some beers lean more toward the soft and wheaty variety, others are firmly on the sour and Gose side.
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company (Boonville, California) Briney Melon Gose
- Paradox Beer Company (Divide, Colorado) Skully Barrel No. 30 Dry Hopped Dark Sour Ale
- Breckenridge Brewing (Breckenridge, Colorado) 471 IPA Barrel Series: Hull Melon
- Strangeways Brewing (Richmond, Virginia) O.T.I.S. Cucumber Melon Sour
- Perennial Artisan Ales (St. Louis, Missouri) Funky Wit Melon
The honey dew melon is sweet and luscious, perfect for dessert and breakfast. It’s often passed over in continental breakfast buffet trays for watermelon and cantaloupe, but, like your mom, we’re going to insist you at least try it (even if we don’t think she probably meant for you to have it in a beer). As for beers, it’s great in lighter beers such as Kölsch and wheat as well as a salty Gose. There aren’t many on the market yet, but this one is definitely worth checking out!
- Ballast Point Brewing Company (San Diego, California) Grunion
The cucumber is bright and crisp, with a touch of sweetness. It’s fresh and light and definitely won’t weigh you down, whether you’re eating it or drinking it. Because its flavors are more subdued, it works very well with the tart Gose or Berliner weisse, or a spicy, full-flavored saison.
- Toolbox Brewing Company (Vista, California) Cucumberliner
- 10 Barrel Brewing Company (Bend, Oregon) Cucumber Crush
- Creature Comforts Brewing Company (Athens, Georgia) Cucumber and Lime Tritonia
- Oakshire Brewing (Eugene, Oregon) Sun Made Cucumber Berliner Weisse
- Wicked Weed Brewing Company (Asheville, North Carolina) Coolcumber
- 7venth Sun Brewery (Dunedin, Florida) It Puts the Cucumber on the Skin or it Gets the Gose Again
No Sunday brunch is complete without cantaloupe, and if your mouth isn’t watering just thinking of it, we’re not entirely sure you’re human. It’s super sweet, juicy, and addictive, which is why it’s such a great addition to beer.
- Lucky Luke Brewing Company (Palmdale, California) The Salzmann
- Blue Pants Brewery (Madison, Alabama) Cantaloupe Alalambic
- Three Taverns Craft Brewery (Decatur, Georgia) Cantaloupe Mint Saison
We know there are more out there. Share your favorites below!