Want to listen to this course (no video)? Head to the new Craft Beer & Brewing Library.
In Denver’s lively RiNo neighborhood, Our Mutual Friend has won fans and accolades by offering a wide range of characterful beers, from hazy IPAs and barrel-aged barleywines to lagers and mixed-culture saisons. Along the way, OMF also has gained a cult following for its interest in traditional, lesser-known, historically inspired styles—many of them brewed with locally smoked craft malts.
In this 49-minute course, OMF head brewer and co-owner Jan Chodkowski shares his approach to brewing smoky and rustic yet highly drinkable beers. Along the way, he covers:
- finding information about historical beer styles
- working with the equipment you have and the ingredients you can get
- making adjustments for modern smoked malts
- tips on brewing with juniper berries
- yeast selection for appropriate character
- specs and tips on smoky stjørdalsøl and grodziskie
- working with eccentric, deeply smoky Stjørdal-style malt
- stjørdalsøl’s long-aging potential
- adapting grodziskie to your modern brewery and ingredients
- tips on brewing with 100 percent wheat
- dialing in grodziskie for balance
- clarifying and carbonating grodziskie
- bonus tips on brewing smoked helles (including a “turbid decoction”)
Want access to more video courses like this one? All of our subscriptions come with a 100-percent money-back guarantee. Get your All Access Subscription to tap into a library of more than 90 full courses on a diverse range of brewing topics. If you don’t love it, we’re happy to refund you.